Sunday, May 24, 2015

Mobile Games: An Addiction worse than drugs.

Mobile Game Addiction - an unwanted gift of technology
Early this week, after the completion of my University examinations, I have started finding a lot of spare time all of sudden. There arises a burning question, what to do with it? My coaching class for CAT came to my rescue by arranging extra classes for 8 hours each day for 5 days straight. Still out of 16 hours, it was difficult to manage all those minutes. Some people would have preferred giving few bonus hours to sleep but to me, sleep has priority only when I have loads of work to do. Miraculously, sleep parts with me when I am free. So, to pass some more time, I was inspired from one of my friend and downloaded an online pool game to kill the time. 

Now let me tell you how these online mobile games works wonders on your psyche. Initially I enjoyed potting few balls. Call it beginner's luck or whatever, I won first three bouts in a row. It wouldn't have been a problem if it was just a game with nothing at stake at all. But these cunning game developers make you bet your virtual coins they provide you with initially on each of these games. All of a sudden, a greedy devil who had been in hibernation all these days rises up. In lure for more virtual coins, I started betting more of those and stakes started rising with each passing game. And then one ominous moment, an unknown opponent from the other corner of the globe got better of me and robbed me off what seemed like the most valued treasure of my life. I was totally broke on that game. It felt like the world has come to a still. It also set a fire burning within me and I was totally inspired to win back all those coins which I lost. So I watched a video online to be awarded few free coins enough to enter in the bet again. I started by placing smaller bets and was overly cautious not to commit any blunder this time around. By the time I had gathered about half of what I had lost, it was early morning. I forced myself to sleep then, woke up next day with teary eyes burning like hell, got ready for coaching class and attended it with minimal concentration just thinking about nothing but rushing back to my hostel and winning more.

Unfortunately when I came back, the net was down. Without giving it a second thought, I started playing it on my data packet. Now, some real money was indirectly getting involved as data packet in phone costs much higher than hostel Wifi network. When I knew, I can't afford to spend anymore Mbs on this game, I gave up for the day. Still my mind was not at rest. To divert it to some place else, I went to the common TV room to watch the ongoing IPL match. 

The scenario there was not to different. People up there sat with all their hands and eyes focused on the mobile phones rather than on the game and were shouting and cheering. I was taken by surprised that why are they watching the game on cell phones while it is running right there on the screen. Then I came to know about the reality. They were more interested in playing online game than they were in the match. The only thing different here was the game. Instead of pool, they were playing 'Clash of Clans', another strategic game where you have to defend your castle and attack others. They were so engrossed as if that virtual kingdom was a reality and catastrophe would befall if they didn't do whatever they could to save their silly castle.

All were discussing different strategies to fence the opponent's attacking army and were celebrating jubilantly if they were successful. It would be right to say that, the cricket match had taken the back seat. That night again I played the pool game. It was literally a deja vu of the previous night. I won a few initially before losing a game where stakes were very high. This time instead of being stubborn about winning those coins back, I thought I would not give this game the power to rob me of my peaceful sleep. But still in two days, that game took a total control over me. 

I had previously also seen people walking the road with eyes and fingers stuck to their cell phones and PDAs, students waiting in mess for their dinner while playing various highly addictive games like Candy Crush, Teen Patti, Temple Run, Subway Surfer, etc. Some people counter my views by saying that they help a great deal in increasing one's concentration. OK. Agreed. But, doesn't is distract you while you are doing other useful work? Are there not other ways to improve your concentration like solving puzzles or doing a Sudoku? 

It is not that I am against all the games. Some games are really a marvel like 2048. It really forces you to use all your brain with utmost concentration to unlock the 2048 tile. Also it doesn't have any false incentives like these silly virtual coins or rankings. It works on simple principle- If you do it, well and good..You may now find an optimum way to unlock it. If you fail, you can always try again without losing anything at all. 

It is just my opinion and as an adult everyone knows what is good for them and what not. Still these games have potential to divert all your stable mind's attention to itself without even one knowing it. Before you know it, it becomes an addiction. Addiction which is worse than drugs. For drugs, you need money and bravado to do something that illegal. For games, they are available free of cost on the play store and well it is not even in the vicinity of the illegal vices. Also one can be a teetotaler after rehabilitation and medical help. Who but the victim himself can help him in the case of a game addict ? It needs a great deal of self control to press that uninstall button on the phone. Not everyone is strong enough to do that.

So be careful and play judiciously.

No comments:

Post a Comment