Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Dreams

Dreams- truly an occult world.
DREAMS-This very phenomenon of psychology has never failed to intrigue me. They, I suppose, occur to everyone once in a while. Some people forget them the moment they open their eyes, some remember them for an hour or two before getting busy in their hectic, monotonous scheme of the day. But there is one more category of people who cherish their dreams for much longer period of time- people like me. Some of you may consider me a weirdo, but the fact is , I have a very strange fetish of noting down the dreams (Only the pleasant ones as nightmares I encounter are usually strong enough to send chills down my spine) in my digital diaries so that I may never forget them. These dream notes, I am very possessive about them and I have never shared them ever with a single person in my life. 

Now you may wonder what is the use of this meaningless exercise? I will counter that by saying that what is wrong in cherishing some more happy moments of the life rather than ignoring them as just a psychogenic successions of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations that occur involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep. 

By now, I guess it is well clear to you that the dreams here I am talking about is the one we witness while taking rest by a suspension of the voluntary exercise of the powers of the body and mind, and an apathy of the organs of sense or to put in simple words, the array of nebulous images you see, the gibberish conversations you have, the coarse sensations you feel while slumbering. Many people consider that the more important dreams are the ones which doesn't let you sleep and not the ones seen while sleeping. Well please excuse me from that cliche. One of the most rudimentary reason, why I adore sleeping long uninterrupted hours is because I love dreaming. The people near to me consider me clinomaniac and a slothful potato because of this habit but I couldn't care any less. 

Many times I have tried googling the meaning of these hazy dreams I see and enjoy. Each time I do that, I end up spending long hours on my laptop ( more like my girlfriend in this forsaken world) and digressing to topics like recent Hollywood sci-fi movies, new spoilers of the plethora of TV series I binge watch in my idle hours, the next big cricket or football match's pre-match analysis or sometimes even to weird topics on quora like why am I living? or what is the purpose of my life? (You would definitely consider enrolling me into a mental asylum if you see my browser history). And I did it again, I digressed. If there is one art that I have mastered is the art of digressing.

So coming back to the topic, what I have inferred by my pattern of dreaming is that most of the nights where I enjoy dreams are the nights where I have forced myself to sleep. I usually realize it is morning on the nights where I have exhausted myself to sleep. The other nights where I am insomniac and forced myself to sleep out of the fear of the tough day I am going to face ahead are the nights where I witness a dream without fail. The topics varies as per my mood just before I go to sleep. Given that my mind is as restless as a monkey, it takes 40-50 minutes before I lose consciousness after closing my eyes on my very soothing hostel bed. In this phase of 40-50 minutes, I am tormented by incessant thought train which forms the crux of the dream which I will be witnessing ahead. Just yesterday, before sleeping, I watched a Bollywood masala film with all the elements like party songs, a building collapsing in earthquake and some over the top romance. After watching the film, I checked out all the websites for gauging more information about the destinations I will be enjoying at in about a month's time during my imminent vacation to Southeast Asia before forcing myself to my bed. And as I said, I am very possessive of my dreams, I will not share what I saw in dreams but I can assure you that in my dream I was going on vacation, witnessed an earthquake, partied hard and also there were shades of romance in my dream.

This dreaming thing has been going on for couple of years to me. I have evolved in that to keep me entertained. Dreaming monotonously without any music seemed boring to me. So now whenever I force myself to sleep, I make sure to plug in the earphone and play a score according to my mood at the moment. I have faced some heavy criticism from my parents because of this habit of plugging in earphones perennially for the whole night while sleeping, but how do I explain this to them? The music just takes the pleasure of dreaming a couple of notches further and also helps in remembering the details about the simulation I was in more vividly. The demerits of this musical dreaming is that the song you were hearing just before waking up to face the reality of this cruel realm of Earth never ceases to playback itself on loop for the rest of the day. This becomes even more gruesome if you are to write an university exam on the day. During those 150 minutes of torture in the archaic exam hall of the college, your brain is literally ripped apart. You try to remember the equations for Diffie- Hellman key exchange and at the same moment a dulcet song of Arijit Singh plays in your mind with the very precise lyrics and even the background chords of guitar, the notes of keyboards and the percussion of tabla and the banging of the drums are too precise. It's like virtually listening to the song recreated by your brain which works in a funny way. It fails to mug a simple equation related to your academics but is infallible in remembering the song precisely with the background score. I guess you now know one of the reason of my mediocre grades in engineering. I advise you all against trying this while your exams are on.

There is one more thing which I have been trying hard since I heard about it- Lucid Dreaming. Lucid dreaming is a dream where your mind is totally aware and open to the scenarios you are in during the dream giving you the capability of manipulating your dreams. But it requires a good deal of patience and astronomical concentration. Being digressive and restless as myself, I have met little success while trying this. Often I end up having a dreamless sleep or no sleep at all and just simple thought trains creating total artificial scenarios rather than dreaming. May be one day, I will master that arty as well without digressing.Till then I will enjoy just the simple dreams I am in and relax. It totally recharges and rejuvenates your battery of the mind.

So , Happy sleeping and happy dreaming to all the readers.

Thank you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment